Twitter Updates

Thursday, May 10, 2007

my twin


I have a twin, well sort of anyway. She's my best friend Cheri and she's in Singapore while I'm here in London and I really miss her so much. I'm at her house or she at mine almost every weekend, just hanging out watching DVDs. She's the only person I can vege out watching copious amounts of television with. We drive to weird places to have food and go out for coffee in the middle of the night. Sometimes when we talk we finish each other's sentences and we understand what the other's thinking, particular when her mom wants to tell us something that we don't particularly want to hear. Her mom calls us twins. She's my twinnie. My bestie. She's the one and only with whom I got drunk with on water. We stalked Yewie together in her car when I had that crush on him! I love her.

But there was a period of time when we lost touch totally. After A'Levels, I went on to NUS and she went to Perth to do her degree. Different schools, different continent, different lives. Starting to go out with boys, we just grew apart and when one of possibly both of us moved and changed numbers, we just lost contact. I remember crying whenever I thought of our friendship being lost. Then one day, her mom - who's an estate agent - was showing a client an apartment in my apartment block. Tentative contact was made. Do you believe in a greater power? I do. And we're best friends even though I'm now an ocean away.

I'm really thankful for this 2nd chance.

8 comments:

susanna said...

Sounds like you both have a special friendship. Isn't it great that her mom, who saw the value your friendship (she must have known that her daughter missed you, too), came to the rescue? Now she has twins again!

Liza's Eyeview said...

friendships are precious. I'm glad to read yours had a second chance.

spacedlaw said...

Real friendship doesn't dwindle just because of distence. So great that you could get together again.
Nathalie

Autrice DelDrago said...

I agree with Spacedlaw. Miles can't keep hearts apart.

Rob Kistner said...

Kay -- that is wonderful, and rare. I enjoyed "hearing" the caring in your writing.

Friendships of youth are often built on the trappings of youth, and are therefore tenuous in advancing age.

Generally friendships formed as young adults -- later college years, or in the first years of the pursuit of career, are the friendships with the best chance of lasting.

It appears though you have one of the magical friendships that will transcend the generations of your life. Treasure it, it is rare -- but it happens.

I am 60 and have one friend, with whom I've been a friend since 12 years of age. We still talk by long distance every couple weeks.

Patois said...

It's wonderful when you can renew such friendships, and when you can keep them strong even over all of the distance. Thanks for sharing this.

Tori said...

I love friendships that pick up right where they left off with such comfortableness.
I enjoyed your post.

Becoming Amethyst said...

This is another one of those stories that reinforces my belief in a higher power ~ thanks for giving me the chance to read it :)

Me

Me and my Toffee Nut Latte from the patron saint of coffee herself - St.Arbucks.