Twitter Updates

Sunday, March 04, 2007

brand new clothes

Dictionary.com defines "superstition" as follows:
  1. a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
  2. a system or collection of such beliefs.
  3. a custom or act based on such a belief.
  4. irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, esp. in connection with religion.
  5. any blindly accepted belief or notion.

Some superstitions are or could be based on plain ol' common sense. For example - it's unlucky to walk under a ladder - but that's because the ladder could genuinely fall on you! Or don't open umbrellas indoors - think about it, opening an umbrella in an enclosed space could mean poking someone's eye out or knocking into furniture.

Me, well, I do notice that I tend to wear a (at least one) brand new piece of clothing on my first day at work in a new company. I see it as new beginnings call for new things but is that a superstition in itself? It's not blindly accepting a belief; it's not an irrational fear. It is, however, an act based on a particular belief - that a new beginning warrants a new outfit.

I remember many "first" outfits for work. Most of them black. New things make me feel good about myself, gives me confidence. And I guess that's all that really matters, superstitious or not!

Read more about other bloggers' superstitions here and don't believe everything you read!

1 comment:

gautami tripathy said...

True. We have our own ways of dealing with situations. Rituals, I would say.

Me

Me and my Toffee Nut Latte from the patron saint of coffee herself - St.Arbucks.