Twitter Updates

Sunday, October 15, 2006

the funny thing about time...

... is that it just happens and nothing you or I can do to change it. We're not in Harry Potter's world where the Time Turner's conveniently at hand.

Anyway, this week's Sunday Scribblings topic is "If I could stop time." I've been thinking about this topic over the last day or two and wondering what angle I could go with it. I don't think there's been a time where I've been happier in recent years in Singapore so I wouldn't want to go back to that old life there. But things aren't perfect because I miss the people who are important to me whom I've left behind, in various parts of the world. So what I'd do with time is that I'd stop time, rewind or fastforward time, and move all the people who are important to me to London. Because I feel myself changing and blossoming here in London.

When I was younger, I used to think that this was as good as it got. But that's the funny thing about life - if you live it right, if you live in the present and try to be content, you'll climb each wave of life and move higher and higher. If you're forever living in the past (e.g. "if only he were still here") or the future (e.g. "what if he does/doesn't do ... ?") you'll never really enjoy the present and life will be one big regret/worry.

I must admit that I worry a little too much for my own good. Some worry is good because it helps one plan for life's shocks and surprises, but worrying about a future that I couldn't predict waas making me hate the present and long for certain times in my past that might not have been all that great.

So I wouldn't stop time because I'm actually very happy to be living in the present at the moment for any other reason but to bring the people that mean the world to me, close to me.

Interestingly - iTunes is playing and I'm listening to the soundtrack of The Phantom and the track that's playing as I type this is "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again."

2 comments:

Jerri said...

How great that you noticed the music as you were writing.

LIfe is strange and wonderful, isn't it?

Thanks for an interesting piece.

Kay said...

I love to check in on the other "kay" on the site. I like what you've written. It is similar in a way to what I wrote as well.

I love London. Was there for a week on vacation several years ago. Can't wait for the opportunity to go back.

Me

Me and my Toffee Nut Latte from the patron saint of coffee herself - St.Arbucks.