Twitter Updates

Friday, June 23, 2006

music

sunday scribblings

It's a rainy Friday night. It's been raining a lot these few day, but the sun shines through with such a relentless force you wonder whether the ground was wet just a moment ago. It's been raining late at night, just when I'm about to sleep, and in the morning when I have to be getting up for work.

I was listening to Hillsongs earlier but when I heard the rumble of thunder and then the sounds of lightning strikes, I suddenly thought of the line "rainy days and Mondays always get me down" from a Carpenters song and switched CDs. The Carpenters has always been something I listen to when I'm a little melancholy. I sing at the top of lungs along with the CD.

The track that's on now is "Close to You" and this is one of the first Carpenters songs that I heard. What I want to write about now is better said by the lyrics of another one of their songs. I wish I had more answers but I don't.



I Need to be In Love

The hardest thing I've ever done
Is keep believing
There's someone in this crazy world
For me
The way that people come and go
Thru temporary lives
My chance could come and I might never know

I used to say "no promises,
Let's keep it simple"
But freedom only helps you say
Good-bye
It took a while for me to learn
That nothin' comes for free
The price I've paid is high enough for me

I know I need to be in love
I know I've wasted too much time
I know I ask perfection of
A quite imperfect world
And fool enough to think that's
What I'll find

So here I am with pockets full
Of good intentions
But none of them will comfort me
Tonight
I'm wide awake at four a.m.
Without a friend in sight
Hanging on a hope but I'm alright

Coincidentally, this week's Sunday Scribblings is about music, so i decided to submit this post.

4 comments:

paris parfait said...

I remember that song! Yes it's true, rain can make us feel a bit melancholy and longing for something, even if we're not sure what. Hang in there - better days ahead. And soon you'll be in the fabulous city of London (I'm going for two days next week). Hope you have a fun weekend.

Kamsin said...

There really is a song for every occassion and emotion. Here's hoping for some more cheery songs for you to sing at the top of your lungs!

AnnieElf said...

Reading this made me miss Karen Carpenter all over again. Such a pure voice she had.

Colorsonmymind said...

I wish I could put into words this unifying feeling I am getting the more Sunday Scribblings I read-music is such an amazing connector.

It is raining here today and I feel a bit melancholy myself. I think I will have a cup of earl grey and listen to a carpenter song:)

Me

Me and my Toffee Nut Latte from the patron saint of coffee herself - St.Arbucks.